2019 Storytellers

Fostering Storytelling ideas going forth!

Fostering storytelling identities in my students will begin in my seventh-grade classroom with a lesson very similar to our narrative assignment that needed to have voiceovers.   I feel that about a third of my students or so come to my class with some background in iMovie, but do not have much exposure to narration […]

More

Teacher…Listener….

Have you ever tried to cancel “Show-and-Tell’ in an elementary classroom? If you have, you’ll understand when I say, all students have stories to tell, and most students LOVE to tell them. It’s truly one of the highlights of the week for some students. Taking this enthusiasm for story telling and transferring it to the […]

More

Reflection

These questions are hard for me because unlike all of you, I have yet to be a teacher. I’ve been a paraprofessional and I’ve been a teachers assistant in college, but I don’t have the same qualifications. I’m on my own road trip beginnings. It’s hard because even though I have this degree, many jobs […]

More

Interview with Kat Geuea

Kat’s story really impacted me as I thought it was so realistic. It definitely had me thinking that Alaska because of its isolation is pretty safe from epidemics, such as the current Measles breakout in the lower 48. So I thought  about how interesting Kat’s plot and was glad I got to interview her. I […]

More

Outdoor Education. In Alaska? An Interview with Erika Horn

When I read Erika’s about outdoor education–in Alaska?!–I was intrigued.   I can see the value of more self-directed learning/unstructured play for elementary aged children, and the “apprenticeship’ aspect of learning a trade or career for high school students.   Holding classes outdoors can also teach skills, such as caring for or helping others, teamwork […]

More

Digital storytelling is not History

After completing this course, I am incredibly excited to use some of the tools and skills that I have learned in my classroom. One of the biggest challenges I have with implementing a new online tool in my class is that I often don’t have a lot of extra time to teach the students how […]

More

Interview with Deana Waters

Since, we do not meet regularly and we have busy schedules especially this time of year, I opted to do a google form for my interview with Deana.   (Thanks for the suggestion Rebecca Williams.) .   I have trimmed the interview down to the questions that elicited the most interesting responses.      

More