Digital Lesson Plan Based on The Great Gatsby (Project 1)

The link to the Google Doc may work better

Lesson Plan Template

Name: Bethany Bean

Date: 4/5/21

Grade Level(s): 11-12

Subject Area

Modern American Literature

Duration: 88 Min Lesson Title: Asynchronous Digital Character Analysis Essay based on The Great Gatsby.

Overview: The students read and annotated The Great Gatsby. They have spent two in-class days discussing scaffolded questions that target the main characters of the story. They have used the text to rationalize their answers. They have had the opportunity in class to edit three Gatsby analysis paragraphs, one high level, acceptable, and needs work in order to help better understand conventions and the difference between summary and analysis. Students have also had the opportunity to create their own analytical paragraph on Tom Buchanan so that they understand how to incorporate text, and analyze the quote. We have done a rough draft guide in class in order to help with the final product of producing a character analysis via Adobe Spark. We have also put in time exploring how to use Adobe Spark with text and audio. 

Today the students will be putting all of the pieces from the rough draft guide together in Adobe Spark so that their analysis is digital and told in story format. 

Lesson Objectives: What will my students be able to do as a result of this lesson? 

1. Students will be able to digitize their analytical papers. 
  2. Students will be able to support their thesis with textual evidence. 
  3. Students will analyze not summarize in their body.
  4. Students will be able to create a conclusion that does not summarize what their video offered but answers the question, “so what?”

AK State Standard(s):

Speaking Grade 11-12:

Comprehension and Collaboration:

1. Initiate and participate effectively in a range of collaborative discussions (one-on-one, in groups, and teacher-led) with diverse partners on grades 11–12 topics, texts, and issues, building on others’ ideas and expressing their own clearly and persuasively.

a. Come to discussions prepared, having read and researched material under study; explicitly draw on that preparation by referring to evidence from texts and other research on the topic or issue to stimulate a thoughtful, well-reasoned exchange of ideas.

c. Propel conversations by posing and responding to questions that probe reasoning and evidence; ensure a hearing for a full range of positions on a topic or issue; clarify, verify, or challenge ideas and conclusions; and promote divergent and creative perspectives.

d. Respond thoughtfully to diverse perspectives or arguments; synthesize comments, claims, and evidence made on all sides of an issue; resolve contradictions when possible, and determine what additional information or research is required to deepen the investigation or complete the task.

3.Identify and evaluate a speaker’s point of view, reasoning, and use of evidence and rhetoric, assessing the stance, premises, links among ideas, word choice, points of emphasis, and tone used.

Presentation of Knowledge and Ideas

4. Present information, findings, and supporting evidence, conveying a clear and distinct perspective, such that listeners can follow the line of reasoning, alternative or opposing perspectives are addressed, and the organization, development, substance, and style are appropriate to purpose, audience, and a range or formal and informal tasks.

Fairbanks:

Literature GS.2: Learners will demonstrate the ability to comprehend, analyze, and engage with a variety of complex print and non-print literary texts, both teacher and self-selected.

(Specifically) 

1. Explain how the various perspectives and voices within our nation’s stories inform how we define our communities, ourselves, and others. 
  2. Independently determine the manner and quantity of annotations necessary to fully engage in a given text. 
  3.  Identify and explain how an author’s strategic choices of diction, syntax, and literary devices affect the specific tone and meaning of a text. 

Listening GS.5: Learners will demonstrate the ability to listen critically and reflectively in a variety of settings and purposes.

Technological GS.7: Learners will demonstrate the ability to appropriately use the tools of technology to gather, interpret, collaborate, and analyze information and create shareable products.

Media Literacy GS.8 Learners will engage in independent critical thinking through accessing, analyzing, evaluating, and creating a complex variety of media.

Cultural Standards:

or ISTE Standard(s):

Standard 1. Empowered Learner: Students leverage technology to take an active role in choosing, achieving, and demonstrating competency in their learning goals, informed by the learning sciences. 

1b: Students build networks and customize their learning environments in ways that support the learning process. 

1c. Students use technology to seek feedback that informs and improves their practice and to demonstrate their learning in a variety of ways. 

Standard 2. Digital Citizen: Students recognize the rights, responsibilities, and opportunities of living, learning, and working in an interconnected digital world, and they act and model in ways that are safe, legal, and ethical.

2a: Students cultivate and manage their digital identity and reputation and are aware of the permanence of their actions in the digital world.

2b: Students engage in positive, safe, legal, and ethical behavior when using technology, including social interactions online or when using networked devices.

Standard 3. Knowledge Constructor: Students critically curate a variety of resources using digital tools to construct knowledge, produce creative artifacts and make meaningful learning experiences for themselves and others. 

3a: Students plan and employ effective research strategies to locate information and other resources for their intellectual or creative pursuits.

Standard 6. Creative Communicator: Students communicate clearly and express themselves creatively for a variety of purposes using the platforms, tools styles, formats, and digital media appropriate to their goals.

6a: Students choose the appropriate platforms and tools for meeting the desired objectives for the creation or communication.

6c: Students communicate complex ideas clearly and effectively by creating or using a variety of digital objects such as visualizations, models, or simulations.

6d: Students publish or present content that customizes the message and medium for their intended audiences.

Standard 7: Global Collaborator: Students use digital tools to broaden their perspectives and enrich their learning by collaborating with others and working effectively in teams locally and globally.

7a: Students use digital tools to connect with learners from a variety of backgrounds and cultures, engaging with them in ways that broaden mutual understanding and viewpoints. 

7b: Students use collaborative technologies to work with others, including peers, experts, or community members, to examine issues and problems from multiple viewpoints. 

7c: Students contribute constructively to project teams, assuming various roles and responsibilities to work effectively toward a common goal.

Anticipatory Set/Motivation:

Warm-Up

Driving Questions:

1. How do we use the text to analyze and support claims and/or questions?
  2. What are the character traits of the main characters?
  3. What textual evidence can you find to prove the traits that you and your partners have identified?
  4. How can investigating the text deepen your understanding of the characters?
Materials/Resources/Technology Needed: 

1. Daily Slide Show
  2. Warm-Up
  3. Rough Draft Guide
  4. Character Analysis 
  5. Adobe Spark
Timing and Instruction: Include approximate times.

1.  Warm-Up: 5 Minutes 
  • The warm-up can be found in Google Classroom under “Warm-Ups,” with the date attached to it. There is a copy for each student. The students know when they come to class to start their daily warm-up.
  • While the students are working on their warm-up, I will be taking attendance in PowerSchool. When I have finished attendance, I will tell them to wrap up their final thoughts. 
  • I will then ask if anyone would like to share what they have written.
  1. Go over Agenda: 2-3 Minutes
  • The daily agenda lets the students know what we will be doing in class for the day. In this case, it will be an overview of what each step of the day will be. 
  1. Review how to Convert R.D.G. to Adobe Spark: 10 minutes.. 
  2. Give Students Work Time and Meet with Them One-on-One: 60 Minutes
  3. Remind students to turn in their activity
  4. Chat Box Exit Ticket: Last couple of minutes before they leave. 
Differentiation/Accommodations: None
Assessments: Adobe Spark Video
Extensions: If a student misses a class they will have this to do as homework. 
Handouts/Worksheets/Tests/Quizzes/Rubrics: (Include copies of worksheets, handouts, exit tickets, quizzes, etc.)

2 Comments

1. Deni Krueger

Moment of delight: Seeing the analysis as digital and told in story format. I’d love to see how the students did turning their analysis into story format. Did they struggle with this? Did you have examples for them? As I read it, I’m not sure exactly what you mean by it, but I’m still excited to tell a story:)

Question: Is the daily warm up and exit ticket tied to the activity? Or targeting other skills development?

Connection to post-pandemic: Using Adobe Spark. I’ve really enjoyed learning how to use that as a tool. It’s not approved for me to use, and so I’m very, very jealous.

Creativity/Thoughts/Suggestions: Are students doing any form of collaboration on this during the process? Are they commenting or helping with the creation process as students record and re-record?

Funny Thought: Have the students take on roles as characters from The Great Gatsby and then (in character) critique the actions/choices they made in the book. They could also provide commentary on other characters. Record the critique in an Adobe Spark video. Maybe edit it with other videos so it becomes a documentary style presentation. I know…it becomes a huge project. (As I write about it, I don’t know if I could commit that much time to a project either.)

2. Melissa Benson

I am curious, Are you planning to have them complete their adobe spark video in one class? I know it would take me much longer than that to find the images I wanted and to record. Plus I think it would be hard to record if everyone was in the room recording at the same time (are you remote or in person? That might solve that!)

It’s funny that Deni wrote about taking on a character’s role. I thought the same thing as I was reading! Except to have them talking about themselves and why they did what they did.

Comments are closed.