Start here

I’ve adopted a travel metaphor as a way of structuring this course. We’re going on a road trip! I’ve done this in part because it helps me anchor the course into something other than a many-pages-long bulleted list and, by inhabiting this alternative structure, exposes creative learning opportunities we might otherwise miss. I chose a road trip, specifically, because it’s collaborative and, much like storytelling, it is as much about the process as the outcome or destination.

In my experience, good road trips have a good bit of forethought put into them — some major destinations in mind, a loose route outlined, the right road trip partners and supplies. It’s also important to make space, in this plan, for diverging, adjusting, and striking out on our own in between traveling together. Which is to say: The semester ahead of us has lots of great stuff already planned and lots of room for you to bring more.

We need to get packed! Tasks 1 & 2 below are some basic course set-up, while tasks 3 & 4 are activities that will require your time and focus. You’ve got one week to pack and prep (that’s code for: this is due in a week, before 8pm on Monday, 1/18/21). Please note that each of these tasks links to a full post with further explanation. Use the “Start Here” link in the left sidebar to return to this main post.

1. Please familiarize yourself with the route I’ve outlined for us by reviewing the syllabus and course schedule. These are available in the “Maps” section of the site.
  2. Get registered for all the modes of transportation we’ll be using this semester (forgive me. The non-metaphorical task is explained thoroughly in this post).
  3. Get yourself on the map! (due Friday, 1/15)
  4. Explore/Read Entrances & Exits by Reif Larsen (1-hour read). Join the #chatting channel in Slack and share your reactions.
  5. Please register for this 1-hour webinar with StoryCenter on February 1 at 9am AKST. The Story Center pioneered some types of digital storytelling and it should be enlightening to hear from them directly. If you cannot attend live, register anyway and you will be sent a recording.

Questions? Concerns? Confusion? Find me on Slack (ahem, the road trip van).

2 Comments

1. Bethany

Hello,
    When I follow the link to register for the Feb 1st webinar, it takes me to the School’s description of Digital Storytelling. Is there another way to access it?

Thanks!
    Bethany

Comments are closed.